Wednesday, March 23, 2011

No Subject

Gah. I'm upset. The week before spring break I had saved a incomplete draft about The Labyrinth to be finished after midterms, but I waited too long and it is now gone. Honestly, I can't remember much of the movie at this point, perhaps because I have blocked it out as a repressed memory. In any case... I'd recommend this movie to someone who enjoys seeing a cross-dressing David Bowie, awful 70's workout music, or just plain horrible stage sets. KIDDING (but not really)! Although I can't remember much, I do remember the feminist undertones illustrated by the female protagonist's cries of "You can't control me!" in a defiant near the end of the whole movie. Not gonna lie, it reminded me of the Wizard of Oz. She goes on a magical journey to complete a mission and meets some unordinary friends along the way. Can this plot symbolize the monomyth? After all, the female heroin was called to action as she set forth to save her baby brother, but I can't recall her denying the call. I could be wrong, but this would essentially disprove that theory. Anywho, one of the more interesting quotes that stuck with me about the movie was "Nothing is ever as it seems" (or something along those lines). I distinctly remember this being said sporadically throughout the movie. It just made me realize how this general quote could apply to life in so many ways. Maybe you have that one professor and/or student that ticks you off, but there may be something in their lives that made them that way. It seems as though we have no sympathy for people nowadays and just judge, judge, judge. We assume behaviors are a result of that person's temperament, but hardly do we ever cut them slack to blame it on the situation at hand. Wow, I forgot how stress-relieving blogging was. My life has just been so busy since I got back to school. Speak of the devil, I have lots of reading/studying/homework to do with my name written all over it (literally). Ta ta for now, dear friends.

2 comments:

  1. What!??? You didn't like The Labyrinth? Think I should drop it from next term's schedule? For real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this helps but I think that if you wanted to get the same point across, you could also show the Wizard of Oz because of the similar plotline. It wasn't terrible, but then again it's your choice.

    ReplyDelete